In a previous article, we talked about the characteristics and subtleties of American roulette. Now we're going to take a look in the same way at another variant of the popular online roulette, French roulette. If you consider yourself an aficionado of this particular casino game, then this is an article you do not want to miss.
Introduction to the French Roulette
French Roulette is the earliest form of roulette, originally devised by Blaise Pascal. Born in 1623, Pascal was a French mathematician, physicist, and inventor. He’s famous for inventing the first calculator the ‘Pascaline’, having a unit of measurement named after him and of course the early form of the roulette wheel, which was originally designed while he was researching perpetual motion. It was this design that would later come to be used by the casino operators and loved by millions of players all over the world. This original version of roulette is the most widely seen variant throughout popular culture, famously featured in the 1942 cult film ‘Casablanca’ as well as television shows such as ‘I Love Lucy’ and the original ‘Mission: Impossible’ series from the 1960s.
French Roulette has a ‘plate’ in the shape of a wheel, embedded into which are thirty-seven non-chronological slots numbered from 0 to 36. Just as in American roulette, French roulette slots are also colored alternately red and black. French Roulette is also particularly well known for a certain special slot on the wheel too.
The Roulette table layout of this version
Of all the roulette options that are available in the online casino, the French table has an additional betting feature that is not present on the American or European tables. There is no additional wheel but an extra layout on the table. This covers all numbers but sections them into four sections to place your bets on.
- There is the zero’s section you can play during a game. This betting covers the 17 numbers between 22 and 25 on the wheel. The player taking this bet covers the numbers 0,2,3,4,7,12,15,18,19,21,22,25,26,28,29,32 and 35.
- Then there is the ‘third wheel’ bet, this covers the numbers between 27 and 33. So in practice, your chips will be laid on 5,8,10,11,13,16,23,24,27,30,33 and 36. Next, is the option that is called orphans. Covering a total of 8 numbers that are found right of the zero pocket. Thus, 1,6,9,14,17,20,31 and 34 are covered.
- The fourth and final to place your chips on, is the ‘final bet’ covering numbers that end on the same number, for example, 5,15,25 and 35.
The rules of winning blows open even wider with this version of the betting and why for many players see this as the best table inside the casinos online.
Does the single zero have an influence playing French Roulette
French Roulette differs from its American counterpart in that there’s no double zero slot. It still has the single zero slot, colored green to distinguish it from the rest, and it works in the same way as bets placed on numbers 1-36. A bet on or including the zero slot will force the dealer to repay the players initial bet and/or profit if it lands.
In French roulette, casinos also offer 2 different types of a chance to win back your money if the ball lands on the zero slot. These chances are only applicable to what are known as ‘even money’ bets e.g. even/odds, high/low or red/black. These chances or actions are known as ‘La Partage’ (the split) or ‘En Prison’ (in prison) and the casino or table you play at will offer either one or the other.
- La Partage (The Split): If you were to place an ‘even money’ bet and the ball was to land in the zero slot, then ‘la partage’ (the split) is enacted. This automatically gives you back half your initial stake and the dealer takes the other half for the house and the game continues. This is particularly interesting because it reduces the house edge on these ‘even money’ bets to 1.35% and can be of benefit to someone using the ‘Martingale’ betting system.
- En Prison (In Prison): Alternatively, if you were to place an ‘evens bet’ and the ball was to land in the zero slot, the dealer will invoke the ‘en prison’ (in prison) rule which is essentially ‘double or quits’. You get a chance to recover your initial stake. The dealer will leave your half of the previous bet where it is and on the next spin if the ball lands in your favor then you claim back your initial wager in full, if not then you lose it all.
The types of bets in French roulette
Playing French roulette can be advantageous in the sense that it allows for a wide range of actions and bets, some of which are only specific to this particular variant.
Best bets in French Roulette
- The most lucrative bets in French roulette are bets on the ‘final’ numbers (0, 10, 20 and 30) and ‘orphan’ numbers (1.6, 9, 14, 17, 20, 31 and 34).
- The full bet, ‘horse’ and ‘cross’ are also attractive as they can generate wins of between eleven and thirty-five times the amount of the initial bet.
Beware though because betting on the ‘tie’ or the ‘dozen’ numbers is not as productive in French roulette as in other variants. Thus, French roulette really requires a sound understanding of knowledge and experience if you want to get the most benefit.
Differences between the French Roulette game and other roulette games
No matter the roulette wheel you pick to play, the form of bets is all the same, there is no real distinction between French tables and those of American and European ones.
The bet of a predicted number comes with all the same chances in the casino game of roulette. The key to success for players at the table is to understand the layout and hedge their chances more effectively when it comes to the betting of numbers.
Strategy applicable on the French roulette wheel
To better any kind of advantage over the house edge and see a return of money, a player would be better off avoiding the zero bets. This single number alone gives the casino a 0.24% advantage over the player.
There is no defining strategy to the French table games, players that know the rules regarding the Martingale principle will be better placed with how to use their chips, than looking for a magical way to beat the casinos.
There is no way of predicting accurately where the ball will land, so when playing online, think not too much of the odds single numbers or betting on red or black, think more about the spending of your money and collecting your winning profits over a long period as there is no one big win like a jackpot within the game that’s played online.