In short, relying on chance alone is not the best method of playing slot machines. Like any other casino game, the use of simple strategies can go a long way to help improve your probability of winning. In this guide we reveal some hints and tips to give you a better understanding of how to approach slot machines.
Calculating the odds with slot machines
First of all, we know that the result of each spin of the reel is determined by a computer algorithm that generates random results. Slot machines can easily be set by the casino to produce the desired pay-out. For example, they can set the machine to 98%. This means that for every $1,000 played, the machine will pay an average of $980. The remaining $20 will go to the casino. However, this is only an average and it's entirely possible to win hundreds or even thousands of dollars with a minimum initial outlay.
Myths surrounding slot machines
It is actually a myth that slot machines are the worst of all the games in the casino. The truth is that you can lose way more money making poor bets at the Craps or Blackjack table than on any slot machine. In reality, your odds on the slots are similar to those found at the Roulette table.
Another popular myth is that if a machine has just released a big jackpot, it will not do so again for a long period of time. Statistically speaking, the odds are the same for every spin, and each spin is completely random and independent of the last. There is no way to predict what will happen on the next spin or any for that matter. Hitting two jackpots in a row is entirely possible.
Strategies to adopt with slot machines
So we know that a slot machine has no memory and is ultimately a game of chance but there are some elements to consider that can help you increase your chances of winning.
- It's better to opt for a slot machine with a high pay-out rate (95% is ideal). The higher the rate the more you will be paid out and the greater the chance that one of those pay-outs will be the jackpot.
- You should know the combinations that pay out on a slot machine; in fact you should try to memorize them. Reason being is that this will enable you to take a different overview of the table of pay-outs.
- Learning how to regulate the use of your tokens is also useful in order to minimise loss. Before starting a game, assess the amount that you are willing to spend. Remember that with slot machines you’re not going to win every time so avoid frenzied or emotional over spending.
- Determine the time that you’re willing to spend in front of a machine. If after ten rounds of play you haven't won anything then try another machine or cut your losses and come back on another day.
- If lady luck is with you, persevere and keep playing but conserve half the amount of your winnings. Learn restraint early on when it comes to slots, it's not worth risking everything you’ve won. Remember that playing a lot does not necessarily mean winning a lot.
- Play on a machine that enables you to stretch out your bankroll. If you have 20 dollars in your pocket, play on a machine where you can play a lot of games for small wagers. The main thing is that you maximise your game time and that you’re enjoying yourself. In addition to this you’ll increase your chances of winning by 97%.
- As funny as it sounds, make sure that you haven't left anything behind! If you win money but then forget it, you will not be able to reclaim it.
- Always read the instructions carefully for each machine. Understanding the rules also means enhancing your chances of winning.
- Most machines will give you a bigger reward for playing the maximum number of coins. For example, for two coins played the jackpot pays out 2,000 coins, but for 3 coins it’ll pay out 4,000. Therefore it’s very important to play the maximum allowed by the slot machine. Make sure to play in casinos that have the highest pay-out rates and the biggest bonuses.
- If you play on a machine with a progressive jackpot remember that you need to wager the maximum number of coins in order to be eligible to win the progressive jackpot. Play slot machines that offer the highest progressive jackpots.